I'm writing a little bit shell shocked but in the last year you all have been my prayer warriors & so I write asking for prayer. (again) As I said before when I told my oncologist about our pregnancy he acted like everything was fine. Yesterday, however, we had a meeting with both our oncologist (Dr. E) & our perinatologist (Dr. L). I had never been told the actual percentage chance that I have of a recurrence of the cancer, until yesterday that is. Dr. E said that I have a 50% chance of it coming back and they are worried about not being able to monitor me while I'm pregnant. Of course the question was asked if we would consider terminating the pregnancy & of course our answer was no. Dr. L was pretty serious about us needing to consider the option saying that the most important thing was that Lilyanah had a mommy & that I was young & having more children 3 years down the road wouldn't be hard . . . . After our last meeting with Dr. E, I didn't expect any of this so I was floored & needless to say a little teary-eyed. It's important to understand that their ONLY concern is MY health. The baby is not increasing my risk of the cancer coming back, and the baby is in no danger. The simple problem is that they cannot do CT scans while I am pregnant so if the cancer does come back they won't be able to diagnose it until after the baby is born. Actually, Dr. L said they're going to look into the amount of radiation involved in the scans & will possibly be able to do one without the IV injection during my 3rd trimester.
Mom was in the meeting & when I left with Dr. E for him to check my neck & ankles & such for englarged lymphnodes she asked Dr. L some questions. She was concerned about the size of the baby & wondered if they would monitor how big the baby was getting. (Since Will was born at a whopping 10lbs 11oz) Dr. L said the baby wouldn't have a chance to get that big because they will induce labor before it gets a chance to grow that large. Because they want to do a full CT scan as soon as it is safely possible the longest they will allow me to go is 36 weeks. Depending on how I'm doing they may go as early as 34 weeks. They just want to make sure the baby will be okay & since Lilyanah did so great being born at 32 weeks they feel like both of us should be fine with such an early delivery. After our ultrasound on the 10th they changed my due date by 5 days from the 22nd to July 17th. So I guess we should expect to have our little one somewhere around June 19th possibly as early as the 5th.
We trust that this baby is God's timing & that whatever happens is in His ALMIGHTY hands. Thanks so much AGAIN for all the prayers you have lifted up to our Lord in this past year & in advance for the prayers you have yet to pray. Lastly, we'll have OB appointments once a month & will most likely have an ultrasound at each appointment. Our next appointment is February 6th & since we'll be 17 weeks Dr. L said they should be able to tell whether we're having a girl or boy. One benefit of having a high risk pregnancy (cause' we have to look for the good) is that we get to see the baby a lot more often then most. We love you all & hope you have a blessed weekend! Until next time! Wendy.
p.s. & sorry there's not a picture!
Saturday, January 13, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all!! Will talk to you later
Dad and Ann
Wendy,
Thank you so much for letting us know so we can pray. As you said, this baby is God's timing, and God has a plan for him or her. I pray that you and the baby will be healthy and that, whatever happens, you will rest in the peace of knowing that God is good.
Love,
Evelyn
Wen, you know we'll be praying for you and the baby and your whole family. God is going to hold you in His hand. I just wish you could enjoy this pregnancy without any worry or extra stress!
Wendy,
I have been praying for you and ever so thankful to hear of your health! I will continue to keep you and this new, growing baby in prayer.
God is amazing, and He IS good!
Much Love,
Rachel
Post a Comment