Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Hospital Visits 1 & 2

The 29th of July I had my first CT scan since before we found out we were pregnant with little Ethne. CT days are not fun for me. I can forget for the 4 months in between scans that I ever had cancer. God completely healed me, all I have to remind me that I did is pictures & of course memories. But even my memories seem like they happened in a different lifetime. If I'm being honest (which I try to be always, I know it always sounds funny when someone says, 'honestly' as if they aren't usually honest. Okay, off the subject.) Anyway, I am afraid of getting cancer again. I know that God could heal me if I were to get cancer 100 times, but that doesn't mean I want Him to have that opportunity! I'd had a little bit of pain in my abdomen & was a little concerned that it may be cancer pain so I think we were all a little bit nervous to hear the results this time around. Thank the Lord we found out I am still cancer free!
I don't think I've blogged this but I have told some of you. There are companies these days that will actually 'store' your child's umbilical cord because the stem cells in it can help cure diseases etc. . . Well, it's a CRAZY expensive investment, typically a couple of thousand dollars. But, apparently because I had cancer we were able to store Ethne's for a only $150. So, basically that means if I DO get cancer again she could have her chance to save my life by using the cells they collected from her cord. I hope that won't be necessary, but what a gift to have that resource available if we need it.
On August 4th we spent the day at the Beaverton Kaiser with Ethne. She hadn't eaten very well during the night & in the morning whenever she was moved even a tiny bit she would let out a very pained cry. I don't like hearing that cry! She broke the 100 mark with her temperature & when I talked to the advice nurse she suggested bringing her in. No little baby should have to go through the few tests that they ran on her. I won't mention a couple of them but she had to have her blood drawn from her little arm & an x-ray done on her abdomen. No one found anything. I think it was something with her digestion. I know we probably could not have gone in but after cancer we don't have the typical mindset of 'oh, it's probably nothing', we know it could be something & just want to make sure it's not. The picture of Will & Ethne (completely covered by the blanket)is precious to me because it was toward the end of our day at the hospital & Ethne had fallen asleep on Will's chest. And my strong, rock of a husband sat there holding her so close broken because his little girl was hurting & he couldn't do anything to help her. It may sound 'not nice' that I think that's precious, I guess it's just a testament to how much he loves his girls. By the next day Ethne was a lot better, so no worries. . . So my question, when is the last time you had to go to the hospital for something that was wrong with you, and what was wrong? Thanks again to all of you who comment, I love reading what you have to say! ~Love you all! Wendy.

3 comments:

Ryan and Katie said...

I'm so thankful that you are still cancer free! And that Ethne is ok too. What a scare though! I have not had to go to the hospital that I remember. Unless you count wisdom teeth? That's not really the hospital though. Ryan had to go to the after hours clinic awhile back, but I won't post about that experience on the blog.

Unknown said...

I'm so relieved that you and Ethne are both healthy. Lots of prayers have been going up for both of you.

The last time I went to the hospital for simething other than pregnancy stuff, it ended with an emergency appendectomy. It was great.

Anonymous said...

I praise God for your health, Wendy, and am thankful that Ethne is doing better, too.
The last time I went to the hospital as a patient was to see my gastrointestinal doctor. I'm so thankful that I'm doing better and am so much healthier now. I'm thankful for every day!