Friday, March 10, 2006

The Making of GI JANE

March 9th was a good day.

Dad was very thoughtful & bought our baby girl a "happy (it's suppose to be your) birthday" cake, candles, party hats, & even her first birthday card. When Will got home we all donned the hats, lit her candles, sang her the birthday song & had a little celebration. Titus & Gideon even got in on the fun! Although I have to say, as cute as they looked in their party hats the real fun was watching dad trying both to get them on & to stay on. Will helped Lilyanah blow out her candles before we moved the table out of the way & got on to making me GI Jane's stunt double. We were all so busy celebrating that we didn't get many pictures, which is why I don't have a good picture to post.

On to the hair, once the scissors were in my hand I had a hard time making the first cut. I felt like a little kid who got a hold of some contraband scissors & was about to do something I would get in trouble for. But once I shot caution in the wind & did it, the rest was smooth sailing. I must say, from experience, there is no way those people in movies who give themselves a hair cut could make it look half as good as they do! I did my right side just fine but hello, I'm right handed & there's no way I could cut my left side the same or even reach the back of my head! I kinda look like a rooster, don't I!?

I figured last night was, Lord willing, a once in a lifetime occurrence so I wanted to have some fun with it. It was an ideal opportunity to see what I would look like with a 'boy cut' & see if any of those present were natural born hair stylists. (They weren't even close!) Will, Mom & Dad took a shot at it after I was done & pretty much completed my hair's mutilation. Mom used some techniques she hasn't used since she cut Jeremy & Corey's hair when we were kids. My poor brothers, if their cuts were 1/4 as crooked as mine they must have worn hats for weeks afterwards. Sorry to say it Mom, but I LOVE YOU! Dad cut a smiley face into the back of my hair. . . Wow, I never thought I'd be typing that sentence! We experimented with some 80's styles but my favorite was 'the oh-so-timeless; ultimate combover, that one was Dad's idea. And I'd have posted that picture over the mohawk. but, the little hair that I had blended in too well with the background.


Seriously, I'm surprised that bald doesn't bother me, but thankfully it doesn't. Of course if I had a choice it would have been nice not to lose my hair but I didn't & I was wasting so much time trying to pick hairs off my shirt & whatever I laid my head back on. Plus, with as much hair as I have it would have taken a while & been such a pain to clean up after! Mostly though it made me sad to see my hairs on Lilyanah, so the hair had to go! I'm super glad we did it like we did, when we did and hope you enjoy the pictures as much as we enjoyed taking them!

I decided to include this last one kinda so you could see full circle with the whole bald thing, but mostly because I wanted to slip another picture of Lilyanah in! Who, speaking of, I need to go feed. She's not a fussy baby but when she's hungry she sure lets us know.
Love to you all! Wendy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Mears shared your blog with me. Thanks for sharing your story! Your courage and positive attitude will conquer all, and is very contagious!

Congratulations to both of you on your beautiful baby daughter!

~Bryan

Ryan and Katie said...

You and Lilyanah both look beautiful with bald heads!! Love you!

K y m m said...

Wendy, It is all deja vu for me (except for having a brand new baby as motivation). You are beautiful, but I have 8 very special friends that I'd love for you to borrow! They are very special friends but I know you would take good care of them ... I'm in town for a couple of weeks. I'll drive to wherever you are.
May many prayers lift you up. xo